Today can easily be defined as “What is happening.”
I had booked an order of 120 cupcakes, and two 2-tiered cakes all for the same day. My day went like this:
1. Woke up and cooked 5 batches of cupcakes (24 cupcakes per batch)
2. Let them all cool
3. Baked 6 red velvet cakes
4. Let them all cool
5. Realized I didn’t have enough eggs…went to the store
6. Began making 5 batches of buttercream for my 5 batches of cupcakes (3 vanilla, 1 cream cheese and 1 chocolate)
7. Decorated all my cupcakes
8. Realized I ran out of icing sugar…went to the store
9. Began cutting, stacking, icing my first cake
10. Decorated it
11. Realized I needed more piping bags…went to the store
12. Took a 20-minute break to eat chicken wings
13. Did the same for the second cake
14. Then spent 78 hours cleaning the kitchen
It was just exhausting. It took me just under 10 hours, breaks not included. Loved every minute of it, but real tiring! Also the kitchen in my house is really small so the space was very limited which made it tricky… and hot, my god was it ever hot in there. Every 2 minutes I was walking out on my front step to cool down (because it’s -20 out there) and now I think about it, anyone who was watching me must have enjoyed my outfit consisting of my purple polka dot shorts, pink socks, a cat t-shirt and my apron…oh dear.
Any-who, it was a super fun time and I really had a lot of fun (plus got to snack on extra cake/cupcake leftovers so that’s always a bonus hehe!)
Today I am showing you my one cake I made, for a Confirmation. Tomorrow I’ll post my other cake I made, following the kinds of cupcakes I made. Hope you guys enjoy!
All I did for this cake was bake 2 red velvet cakes, sliced them both horizontally and then used buttercream to stack them. I cooked another red velvet cake, but in a smaller pan and placed that on top.
I then iced my entire cake with a ‘crumb coat’ and let that sit for 10 minutes.
I made a double batch of buttercream and divided it into 4 bowls and died them all blue, starting with the darkest and ending with the lightest.
I used this tip and piped around, starting from the bottom and working to the top.
Then I just mixed gold and blue sprinkles and added them on top of the cake. I cut out a cross and a dove out of fondant, and stacked them on top, and ta-da!