I finished my first year of university last Friday and decided to celebrate by making cookies. It was seriously the best feeling running out of my last exam… and now I have no priorities and life is good. When I left my last exam on Friday, I was walking downtown Toronto and saw them filming the TV show SUITS. I saw Mike Ross, and just about had a heart attack. Here’s a photo I took! Anyone want to marry Harvy, like I do? Hehe!
Anywho, I made these cookies with the same recipe I used for my toffee brown butter cookies, but instead of toffee bits I substituted them with Milk Duds – and man what a good idea. I also created an 8-second video (which is down below) of my cookies baking in the oven which was is so silly hehehehe, but it was fun to do!
The Milk Duds are in the batter, but on some cookies I put a couple extra on top, so when they bake they ooze out onto the side and get all hard and chewy – like hard caramel. Uuuuuugh, it’s so tasty.
I hope everyone is having a good April so far, and expect 2 posts coming this Saturday night (one being a rose cake, and another being a Spiderman cake!) as well as a post coming next Wednesday with another rose cake.
Youtube milk dud timelapse video:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chocolate chunks or chocolate chips
- 1 cup Milk Duds
- Coarse sea salt, to sprinkle on top
1. Cut one stick (1/2 cup) of butter into tablespoons. Place in a medium pot. Melt the butter over medium heat, swirling it in the pan occasionally. The butter will go from yellow-ish to brown-ish yellow, then a gross puke colour (haha) and eventually it will start to turn into a dark brown. Remove pan from heat once the butter starts to brown and smells nutty. There will be small brown bits on the bottom. The butter should be an amber color. Pour butter into a small bowl and cool to room temperature, about 20 minutes (I stuck mine in the fridge because I’m impatient, so feel free to do that too!)
2. While the brown butter is cooling, in the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the remaining 1/2 cup butter with dark brown sugar and granulated sugar. Beat until creamy and smooth, about 3-4 minutes. Add the cooled brown butter and mix until smooth.
3. Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and mix until combined.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, salt, and baking soda. Gradually mix in the flour on low speed until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chunks and Milk Duds.
5. Form the cookie dough into a large ball and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill for at least 30 minutes.
6. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.Line two baking sheets with Silpat baking mats or parchment paper and set aside. Remove dough from fridge and form into 2 tablespoon sized cookie dough balls. Place on prepared baking sheets, about 2 inches apart. Sprinkle with sea salt.
7. Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes or until slightly brown around the edges. Remove from oven and allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a wire cooling rack and cool completely. Store cookies in an air-tight container for 2-3 days. You may also freeze these cookies as well.