These are so good. The most delicious, moist cupcake with such yummy frosting on top. I love the look of the dash of sprinkles, the chocolate ball and the straw – such a cute touch!
What is cool about the cupcake batter is that you use a box mix but you also add a lot of other ingredients (ex. sour cream) that made it so moist and delicious – and huge! These things looked like muffins when they came out of the oven!
(They also smell your kitchen up, nice and chocolately!)
- 1 box Devil’s Food Cake Mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup oil
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup malted milk powder
Malted Milk Buttercream Frosting
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 to 3 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar (sift if lumpy)
- 5 tablespoons malted milk powder
- pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 to 5 tablespoons milk or light cream
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the butter, 3 cups of confectioners’ sugar, malted milk powder, salt, and vanilla.
- Beat on low speed of electric mixer to combine, adding 4 tablespoons of milk, a tablespoon at a time.
- Add more milk or confectioners’ sugar as needed for piping or spreading consistency.
- Beat for 2 minutes, or until smooth.
- Spread or pipe onto the cupcakes.