PURE HEAVEN. Omgz, these are just like little pillows of salty, sugary, HEAVEN. I was having the hardest time NOT eating the frosting before I frosted them. 😉
- 1 cup salted butter, diced into cubes
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar, for rolling cookies
Salted Caramel Frosting
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp caramel sauce or caramel ice cream topping (I used Hershey’s)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3/4 tsp coarse sea salt, divided
- Heat butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook just until butter has browned, swirling occasionally (butter will go through stages, it will melt, then splatter a bit, then foam and golden bubbles will begin to appear in the center on the surface with little brown specs – this is when you want to remove it, don’t burn it). Pour butter (and scrape out all of the browned butter with a rubber spatula) into a heat proof bowl. Allow butter to cool until just warm to the touch, about 20 – 25 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and salt, set aside. Add cooled butter, 1/2 cup granulated sugar and light-brown sugar to an electric stand mixer and mix until well blended. Add in egg, egg yolk and vanilla and mix until combine.
- Slowly add in dry ingredients and mix just until combine.
- Scoop dough out 1 1/2 Tbsp at a time and form into balls (dough will seem a bit dry, I think this is due to using warm butter it seems to slightly begin the cooking process before baking), then pour 1/4 cup granulated sugar into a small bowl and roll balls in sugar to evenly coat. Place sugar coated dough balls onto a Silpat lined or greased baking sheet. Using the bottom of a flat measuring cup or drinking glass gently flatten each ball to 1/2 inch, then bake in preheated oven 9-11 minutes.
- Allow to cool several minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool. Cool completely then frost each cookie with Salted Caramel Frosting and sprinkle each cookie evenly with a small pinch of sea salt immediately following (so the salt sticks before frosting sets). Store cookies in a single layer in an airtight container.
Salted Caramel Frosting
- In a large mixing bowl, using and electric hand mixer on low speed, whip together caramel sauce, butter and vanilla until pale and smooth about 1 minute. Add in powdered sugar and mix until well blended and smooth. Use coarse sea salt to sprinkle over frosted cookies.