This cake was for somebody who loves chocolate – can’t you tell?!
It is a 8″, 4-layered chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream and raspberry filling in-between the layers. On top, there are caramel chocolate balls, chocolate covered toffee pretzels, chocolate caramel buttered popcorn and 2 chocolate donuts. A sweet and salty cake! There is also a chocolate ganache drip poured on top and down the sides.
The raspberry filling is soooooo tart and delicious. The seeds are strained out of the filling so it becomes this really smooth texture that is almost drinkable!
Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup vegetable or canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Prepare two 8-inch cake pans by spraying with baking spray or buttering and lightly flouring.
- Add flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt and espresso powder to a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Whisk through to combine or, using your paddle attachment, stir through flour mixture until combined well.
- Add milk, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla to flour mixture and mix together on medium speed until well combined. Reduce speed and carefully add boiling water to the cake batter. Beat on high speed for about 1 minute to add air to the batter.
- Distribute cake batter evenly between the two prepared cake pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes, remove from the pan and cool completely.
- 1/2 cups frozen raspberries
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- In a small sauce pan, combined all of the ingredients and slowly bring to a boil over medium-high heat (keep stirring until thickened for best results).