Making oatmeal in the mornings is one of the most comforting and relaxing ways to begin your day. My go-to breakfast is smoothie bowls (post coming soon), but oatmeal is a close second. There are so many ways to make oatmeal – with fruit, with savoury ingredients, or with loads and loads of chocolate!
On my last day of freedom before University starts up again (yes you heard me: my first class is on January 12th. And yes: I have been off since December 5th…), I decided to make a big bowl of warm oatmeal.
- 1/2 cup of gluten-free oats (I use Bob’s Red Mill!)
- 1 cup of plant-based milk (my preference is coconut milk)
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of pumpkin spice
- 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1 large banana
- 1/4 cup of blueberries
- 1/4 cup of mangos
- 1 tablespoon of chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon of hemp seeds
- 1 tablespoon of sunflower seeds
- Mix together the oatmeal, coconut milk, cinnamon, pumpkin spice and nutmeg in a small saucepan over medium heat for 13 minutes.
- Once the oatmeal has soaked up the liquid, take it off the heat.
- Add all your toppings and enjoy!
*If you like your oatmeal sweetened, add 1 tablespoon of pure maple syrup (or honey, if you are not vegan).