I was lucky enough to be asked by one of my friends to make cakes for her sister’s wedding shower. I made five cakes, all vanilla with vanilla buttercream in-between the layers with a strawberry preserve filling in the layers as well. On the outside, I kept it really simple and smoothed on the vanilla buttercream. I decorated it with pink and yellow sugar flowers. They were such gorgeous colours, it reminded me of the spring (that we unfortunately aren’t having!)
Thank you to the Galati family for allowing me to make these cakes for the wedding shower! It was a great experience, and I had a ton of fun. Enjoy your day today (and enjoy the cake!) 😀
Vanilla Cake Recipe
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 350 °F. Butter two 8-inch baking pans and grease with butter and flour. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, and vanilla with an electric mixer for about 10 minutes or until thick, pale and triple in volume. Drizzle in the oil while beating.
- At low speed, add the dry ingredients alternately with the milk until the batter is smooth. Divide the batter into the pans and bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cool for 15 minutes. Remove from the pans and let completely cool on a wire rack.
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 1/2 cups frozen strawberries, thawed and cut into bite size pieces
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- Whisk water and cornstarch together in a large saucepan.
- Stir strawberries and sugar into the water.
- Cook strawberry mixture over medium heat until thick, about 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before use.