One of my best friends celebrated her birthday earlier this week, and her mom asked me to provide her with a vegan chocolate cake (to surprise her!). I’ve actually never made a vegan cake before, but I assumed it wouldn’t be too hard – just have to substitute eggs and milk. Instead of milk, I used soy. And instead of eggs I used vegetable oil. The cake itself was SO moist. It was extremely dense, but very moist. It tasted quite like lava cake.
I was interested to see how the buttercream would turn out, since I wasn’t able to use butter, of course. I used the same buttercream recipe, just substituted butter with Earth Balance’s Vegan Butter, which is 79% vegetable oil. I used the same amount of shortening, icing sugar and vanilla extract as I normally would in my original buttercream recipe, and it turned out absolutely delicious! It tasted like the kind of icing you get in gingerbread houses, quite like royal icing.
A big happy birthday to one of my dearest friends, Maddy! You are such a ray of sunshine, and always manage to make my stomach hurt from laughing so much. Love you lady, xoxo.
CHOCOLATE VEGAN CAKE RECIPE
- 2½ cups all purpose flour
- 2½ cups sugar
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2⅔ cups non-dairy milk of choice (I used soy)
- ⅔ cups light oil (such as canola or vegetable. I used vegetable)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- Prepare two 8″ round baking pans by lightly greasing them (I used vegetable oil), and then cut a circle of parchment paper to fit into the bottom.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt, then set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the milk, oil, apple cider vinegar and vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Don’t over mix.
- Divide the batter into the prepared pans.
- Bake for about 40 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the cakes cool completely before frosting.
Recipe obtained from It Doesn’t Taste Like Chicken.