One of my good friends turned 19 the other day, so to celebrate I made KIT-KAT CUPCAKES!!! (I’m writing in caps to express my feelings for these cupcakes… they were really good, OK??!!?)
In all seriousness though, these babies were heaven in my mouth: chocolate cupcake with broken up Kit-Kats in the middle, topped with caramel buttercream and a broken piece of a Kit-Kat for a garnish.
Seriously though, these cupcakes are probably top 5 one of my favourite cupcakes I’ve ever made. You don’t even have to be a big fan of Kit-Kats to love these cupcakes.
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extrat
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 6 fun-sized Kit Kat bars, broken into single wafers (12 wafers total)
Caramel Buttercream Frosting
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup caramel sauce (homemade or store bought)
6 fun-sized Kit Kat bars, broken into single wafers (12 wafers total for garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a cupcake pan with 12 paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the sugar and oil until smooth. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Alternating between the flour and buttermilk, gradually add the flour in 3 parts and the buttermilk in 2 parts.
- In one liner, scoop enough batter to cover the bottom. Cut one Kit Kat wafer in half then place both halves on top of the batter. Scoop enough batter on top to cover. Repeat with the remaining cupcakes. Bake 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out almost clean. Cool completely.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter, sugar, and salt until smooth. Add the caramel sauce then beat until light and fluffy. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes.
- With the remaining Kit Kat wafers, cut each in half then stick the cut side into the frosting for garnish.
These look and sound amazing! Want a whole tray of these!! Yummy 🙂
Girl, me too!!! I could eat the whole thing!
They look great!!! 😍
These look absolutely delicious! I’ve got some Toblerone that I’ve been thinking about turning in to cupcakes, I’m going to definitely do it now having seen these 😍
What an amazing idea!!! I want to try that myself… maybe I’ll do it next week! Thanks for the idea, girl!