So in honor of my 19th birthday, I celebrated by making myself some chocolate covered strawberry cupcakes! They are vanilla cupcakes, with vanilla buttercream frosting with a chocolate covered strawberry on top. Very basic, but still really pretty (and delicious!)
(makes about 20)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup canola oil (or vegetable or extra light olive oil)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F and line a cupcake/muffin pan with cupcake liners.
In a medium bowl, whisk together 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, 1 1/4 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda and 1/2 tsp salt. Set flour mix aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat 2 eggs with the whisk attachment on medium speed (15-20 seconds).
- Add 3/4 cup sugar and continue to beat on medium speed.
- Add vanilla and oil and beat on medium speed.
- Reduce mixer speed to medium/low and slowly add about half of the flour mixture. Add half of the buttermilk, then the rest of the flour mix and the rest of the milk. Beat until just combined and smooth, scraping down the sides of the mixing bowl. The batter should be thin.
- Pour batter into a lined muffin pan. Fill to about 1/2 full.
- Bake for 12 -14 minutes. Let them cool in the pan for a couple minutes, then remove.
Then I made a batch of my buttercream, dyed it a light pink colour and decorated away!
As for the chocolate covered strawberries, all I did was wash all my strawberries, then I melted milk chocolate chips and dipped each one in and placed them on a baking sheet lined with wax paper. I then used left over buttercream and piped a little drizzle over top of the strawberry.