One of my oldest friends turned 19 today!!! And she wanted a green themed cake – so I made this 4 layered butter pecan cake, with vanilla buttercream. I made meringues (recipe will be down below) and added them on top, with gold sprinkles, pearls and edible gold sugar dust!
If you’re reading this Laura, happy birthday and I hope your year is filled with magic and wonderfulness! Can’t wait to see you soon.
- 4 egg whites
- 304g of sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- With a stand mixer, fitted with a whisk attachment, begin whipping your egg whites. Start out slowly and then when big bubbles start to foam and it gets almost ‘soapy’ looking, increase the speed to medium-high.
- When it has gone really white, and the bubbles are much smaller – test it by lifting the bowl upside down and if nothing falls out then you’re ready to move onto the next step.
- Put it back on high speed. Add sugar in a spoonful at a time. Make sure to keep the mixer on while you’re doing this.
- Leave it mixing for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the mixer and check it by popping some of the meringue mixture onto your finger and rub it between your fingers, and if you feel any grains of sugar, mix it for a couple more minutes. The goal is to not feel any sugar when rubbing it between your fingers.
- Once it’s glossy and sugar-less, add the vanilla. Mix for a couple of minutes.
- To prepare the piping bag, open it up and fold down the sides. With a paintbrush and your food colouring, begin by painting stripes inside your piping bag, making sure the bag doesn’t cave in. Eventually you will have about 6 painted stripes on the inside of your piping bag.
- Fill your piping bag with your meringue mixture.
- Start piping your meringues onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Once complete, bake your meringues at 200 degrees F for 30 minutes, or until the meringues can be easily lifted from the baking sheet.