Yesterday I had an order of 120 cupcakes to make and let me just say I’ve never made so many batches of cupcakes and buttercream in my life! I swear I made about 6 batches of buttercream it was crazy. I will post all my cupcakes I made starting with these chocolate rose and chocolate sprinkle ones. 🙂 I will post my vanilla ones tomorrow, followed by my red velvet ones!
- 1 cup (42g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups (95g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (100g) light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup (80ml) vegetable or canola oil
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup (120ml) buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Line two 12-cup muffin pans with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the cocoa powder, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar, brown sugar, oil, and vanilla together until completely smooth. Pour half of the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Then half of the buttermilk. Gently stir – about 5 stirs. Repeat with the remaining wet ingredients and buttermilk. Stir until *just* combined; do not overmix. The batter won’t be very thick.
- Pour/spoon the batter into the liners – fill only halfway to avoid spilling over the sides. Bake in batches for 18-19 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
Then I made a batch of my buttercream, and decorated away!
Cupcake recipe adapted from Sallys Baking Addiction