Decided to be festive and get in the spring spirit by making cute cupcakes with mini eggs. I just used the classic chocolate Betty Crocker cake mix and made 24 cupcakes. I then iced them with Wilton Buttercream icing and topped it with a mini egg. Enjoy, and HAPPY SPRING! FINALLY!
- Chocolate Cake Mix (of your choice! I used Betty Crocker)
- Buttercream Icing Ingredients (down below)
- 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine softened
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- 4 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar (approximately 1 lb.)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Make cupcakes according to instructions on back of cupcake mix box
- Let cool
- Make the buttercream icing (instructions down below)
- In large bowl, beat shortening and butter with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla.
- Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry.
- Gradually add milk; beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.
- For thin (spreading) consistency icing, add 2 tablespoons light corn syrup, water or milk.
- For pure white icing (stiff consistency), omit butter; substitute an additional 1/2 cup shortening for butter and add 1/2 teaspoon No-Colour Butter Flavor. Add up to 4 tablespoons light corn syrup, water or milk to thin for icing cakes.
I love the spring time, these are so cute!!
Thank you! And delicious as well, definitely recommend making these!
These are adorable, and that frosting is a lovely colour!
thank you! thought it was quite “springy!” 😛