I had made these last halloween but decided to post these now in case anyone wanted to plan to make them for Halloween (or even before). I made these for a bunch of people and they loved them. I also think the Oreo made it extra yummy and definitely more chocolatey.
I highly recommend you make these for halloween, whether it’s for a birthday party, a get together, a Halloween party or just for you and your friends (or just you) – no matter what they will all be eaten up. I guarantee.
- Betty Crocker (or Duncan Hines, etc.) chocolate cake mix
- 2 packages of Oreos
- 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine softened
- 1 teaspoon of clear vanilla extract
- 4 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar (approximately 1 lb.)
- 2 tablespoons milk
1. Make the cupcakes according to box directions.
1. In large bowl, cream shortening and butter with electric mixer. Add vanilla. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Keep bowl covered with a damp cloth until ready to use.
2. For best results, keep icing bowl in refrigerator when not in use. Refrigerated in an airtight container, this icing can be stored 2 weeks. Rewhip before using.
3. For thin (spreading) consistency icing, add 2 tablespoons light corn syrup, water or milk.
4. For Pure White Icing (stiff consistency), omit butter; substitute an additional 1/2 cup shortening for butter and add 1/2 teaspoon No-Color Butter Flavor. Add up to 4 tablespoons light corn syrup, water or milk to thin for icing cakes.