I made these in the fall (Hence the fall coloured smarties) and made them a week later I think… then again at Christmas. They are too good.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup caramels, approx. 20 halved (I used Kraft, because those are the real deal)
- 3/4 small button-shaped chocolate candies (I used Smarties)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and baking soda. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugars on high until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in eggs, scraping down bowl as needed. With mixer on low, beat in flour mixture in three additions until combined. Beat in vanilla. Fold in caramels.
2. Using a 1/3 cup scoop, drop dough, 2 inches apart, on parchment-lined baking sheets (SIDE NOTE: accidentally used wax one day… don’t know what I was thinking but the end result wasn’t pretty). Bake 8 minutes. Remove from oven; immediately press candies onto cookies, then rotate sheets and bake until golden around edges and set in centres, about 8 minutes. Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool.
Follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter!
I love caramel more than I love chocolate!!
Girl, I can’t argue with you there! (however I still will admit I am a chocoholic!)